Friday, June 30, 2023

CORDIAL GREETINGS

 I went for the second time to Iberica, one of chain of Spanish restaurants, this one in Victoria, which apparently ‘celebrates the spirit and style of our homeland with the finest food, award-winning wines, and a truly authentic experience of Spain.’  Ok then. 

The first time I was there I had the Atlantic Negroni - Bombay gin infused with thyme, Nordesia vermouth, Burla Negra rum, Campari and angostura bitters,.  I had not expected the rum, but that was fine. It looked like this: 

 


This second time I had Mezcal & Lime - Dewar's scotch whisky, Quiquiriqui Mezcal, cordial, lime juice and angostura bitters.  I hadn’t expected the whisky, but more confusingly I didn’t know what that ‘cordial ‘was doing in there. Or what kind of cordial it was. Was there a punctuation error?  Was it perhaps a lime juice cordial, say Rose’s?  Or was it (which seemed completely unlikely), a mescal cordial. Is there even such a thing?

 

I asked the waitress what the cordial was, and she spent a certain amount of time trying to define the word for me, but that didn’t help, and in the end we both gave up.  I ordered it anyway.  It was good, better than the Atlantic Negroni, and it looked like this:




 


No comments:

Post a Comment