Wednesday, March 8, 2023

VISIBLE CHIPS

When did this happen? When did comparatively modest restaurants start serving their chips/French fries in little metal containers or baskets?

 

I ask this because I went to a couple of places in Suffolk at the weekend, and they both served their chips that way. This was the Boardwalk Restaurant on the pier in Southwold

 


This was Satis House, in Yoxford.

 


I’m sure Heston Blumenthal has a lot to do with it.  Once you’ve made a big thing out of triple cooking your chips you want to show them off.

 


Obviously it looks kind of classy, but there can be problems. A metal container can hide a multitude of sins, and less reputable establishments can put their broken, under or over cooked, generally less visually attractive odds and ends at the bottom where they lurk unseen, at least initially. Though of course that doesn't happen with a basket.

 

And I suppose the arrangement is here to stay. You can buy the little containers at Ikea – only 4 quid a pop:



Am I being pathetic if I say I'm tempted?  And I ask myself, are my chips worthy?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment