Friday, March 10, 2023

POTATO DREAMS

 

I had a dream the other night that my friend Kirsty had invited me to a party, and all the guests had to come bearing potatoes.  This was a strange thing to dream, since Kirsty doesn’t look like one of the world’s great potato eaters.



 

I think the reason for the dream was that I’d been thinking about Henry Cueco, a French artist and writer who among many other things painted portraits of potatoes.  

 






He did lemons as well 



But it’s the potatoes that really move me.

 



He also wrote a book, untranslated into English as far as I know, titled Le journal d’une pomme de terre, 




in which (I think given my poor French) he imagines himself to be a potato. This is my own dodgy translation, with some online help:

‘My poor mother was not, strictly speaking, a potato. Yet I often dream that I am sprouting, my body covered in manure and earth, blissfully budding. My father was not familiar with potatoes, his preferred starch was rice. I never saw him look carefully at a potato, although he was interested in the voluptuous forms of women. ‘

 

There’s just something about potatoes. They have character, personality, they have eyes, and (especially if you draw on them) they even have faces.



It almost seems a shame to eat them

 

Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment