Thursday, November 4, 2021

THE SANDWICH MAN COMETH

 And speaking of sandwiches ...



 One of the minor but significant pleasures of living in Los Angeles was driving around in the middle of the day listening to Jonesy’s Jukebox on the car radio. That’s Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols.

 

And I remember him once talking about ‘National Days’ as in National Martini Day, National Take Your Iguana to Work Day, etc. etc.  I think these are largely inventions of the American marketing industry but of course the rest of the world is free to join in. 

 

And Jonesey said in his soft London drawl, ‘But wot I don’t understand, there’s only 365 days in the year but there’s more than 365 fings in the world.’  No arguing with that.

 



Now, as you may or may not know, yesterday November 3rd was National Sandwich Day.  Yes, yes I know, every day is sandwich day in some homes, my own included, and I can’t honestly believe that millions of people suddenly decided to celebrate this special day by eating a sandwich.  But for all I know perhaps they did.

 


As you may know, I mean I talk about often enough, I regularly consider writing a 1000 page book on the history, aesthetics, semiotics, cultural meanings, and probably ecological status of the sandwich.  I even discussed it with my agent, who wasn’t thrilled.  The one problem I see, it would probably have to contain recipes and I don’t think a sandwich needs a recipe, or rather you only need one – you get some stuff you like and you put it between slices of bread.  Job done.

 



Incidentally, not only is there a National Sandwich Day there’s also a National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day.  Some might think that was too much of a good thing. Not me.  Here’s one I made earlier.





No comments:

Post a Comment