Friday, October 20, 2023

GO AHEAD, PLAY WITH YOUR FOOD

It was the inamorata’s birthday so naturally we went for dinner at St. John. We started with martinis of course. They looked like this:

 

This pic and the others (apart from the Hepple Gin bottle) by Caroline Gannon.

Our waitress said they were made with Hepple Gin, which she described as ‘an unusual choice’ though it was her choice rather than ours.  A little research reveals that among other ingredients, Hepple Gin contains savoury lovage and bog myrtle, and I can safely say that I’d never tasted bog myrtle before.

 


And then it was business as usual, though not exactly as usual. I mean when the first starter on the menu is ‘Pig's Head, Radishes and Sorrel’ you know at least one of the things you’ll be ordering.  It looked like this:

 


But old habits die hard, and so for a second starter we had ‘Roast Bone Marrow and Parsley Salad’ which I think I’ve had every single time I’ve ever been to St John.

 


But this time, in a moment of mid-martini inspiration, I saw the architectural and sculptural possibilities of the dish, or anyway the remains of the dish.  I made a Bone Henge.




No comments:

Post a Comment