Monday, July 10, 2023

IN THE PINK WITH OLD SAM PEPYS

 Like me, you’ve probably been intrigued by the Hyde Park incident at which a fan handed Pink a whole, boxed Brie. The fact that she held it up so clearly to display the name of the manufacturer did suggest to me that some sponsorship or at least product placement was going on, but then I’m a cynic.

 

My mind drifted back to Tuesday 4 September1666 when, in the middle of the Great Fire of London, Samuel Pepys recorded:  Sir W. Batten not knowing how to remove his wine, did dig a pit in the garden, and laid it in there; and I took the opportunity of laying all the papers of my office that I could not otherwise dispose of. And in the evening Sir W. Pen and I did dig another, and put our wine in it; and I my Parmazan cheese, as well as my wine and some other things.’


I imagine a whole Parmesan might survive being buried better than a brie would, but I think more research may be necessary.

Not as part of this research, I went to the Samuel Pepys in Harwich, an establishment variously described as a pub, wine bar or hotel.  I understand it was previously known as Sam’s Wine Bar, and before that the Rose & Crown.





Pepys did have a considerable connection with Harwich, as naval administrator and then MP.  I’m sure he must have done a lot of eating and drinking in the town, though I haven’t seen any absolutely hard evidence of where and when, though the pub’s website reads ‘he is said to have frequented this old tavern.’ 

The inamorata and I, not being very hungry, decided to share a panini – There were no Parmesan options on the menu that I could see.  There was a brie panini but it came either with cranberry or Marmite; neither of which ever strikes me as a good idea.

So we had the Cheddar cheese and grilled back bacon. Tripadvisor has some poisonous reviews for the Samuel Pepys but we found our food was perfectly good and the service was very friendly. What more do you need on  a quiet Saturday afternoon?



Want to see a picture of Pepys inspecting the King’s navy, painted by Robert Lyon?  



Want to see a picture of Debbie Harry with a piece of Brie in her mouth, the photograph taken by my pal Lisa Jane Persky?  Well of course you do.




 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment