Sunday, May 14, 2023

INCONSTANT CRAVINGS

 You know, as I get older I think I ‘crave’ food much less than I used to, and crave of course is a very contested word.  What exactly is the difference between a craving and just being a greedy pig?

 

I mean I do sometimes really feel the need for a fried cheese sandwich (that’s grilled to my American readers) with baked beans, 




 

and if there’s fish and chips on the menu I’ll most likely order it, 

 



but do I actively crave these things?  I don’t really think so.

 

Anyway, I woke up this morning with what I’m prepared to say was a craving for asparagus and hollandaise sauce.  

 

You know, I think I was quite old before I ate asparagus.  I think it was ordered for me in a wine bar by a small time film producer who wanted to appear classy but didn’t want to spend much money.  

 

Well, the local Co-op is not a cornucopia of foodie delights but they had asparagus spears – (I’d have preferred them whole) and the hollandaise was in a packet that allegedly ‘serves four’ - they’d have to be rather an abstemious foursome.




Yeah, yeah, I did used to make my own proper hollandaise in a bain marie but you know, I had higher goals and expectations back then.  And slightly at a loss as to what to have with the asparagus, I saw that the Co-op, had smoked mackerel in the chiller cabinet.  Why not?

 

I can tell you that the asparagus comes form Hampshire and the mackerel comes from the East Atlantic which seems a big vague though the packing assured me it was responsibly sourced.  The packet of hollandaise comes from Pegasus Way, Haddenham, Aylesbury; so that’s OK.

 


And you know the packet of hollandaise with far less milk than they recommended and with a squeeze of lemon juice was much better than I could have made from scratch and above all, it may not have satisfied every synapse and tastebud but -- IT WORKED.  On the night, it hit the spot.

 




That’s what cravings are all about, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment