Monday, June 15, 2020

KEEP ON MASHING IN THE FREE WORLD



Sometimes I forget how much I like Neil Young but then I remind myself, and all is well.  I think we know by now that Neil is not for everybody and I’m not in the business of convincing anyone of his godlike genius but if I were I would play them ‘T-bone’ from the album re-ac-tor.  




The lyrics are as follow, according to the album liner, but I really don't hear the s at the end of potatoes - I hear 'Got mashed potato' which I think is better: 

Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone

And so on for a shade over nine minutes.  If that’s not a highpoint in western art I don’t know what is, and as the man himself says:


I’ve been singing this to myself since I bought a packet of Roysters Bubbled Chips - T-bone steak flavour.


I hear you ask ‘What is T-bone steak flavour?’ and I can help with that.  It’s right there on the packet.  Ingredients include but are not limited to Rice Flour, Salt, Dried Yeast Extract, Flavourings, Flavour Enhancers, Monosodium Glutamate, E627; Sugar, Maltodextrin, Spices & Herbs, and Emulsifier E471.’

In other words we’ve got no actual T-bone.  And obviously we’ve got no mashed potato.  The potato we’ve got is dried and reformed.  Ah well.

Below is a link to the Neil Young song. You may need more than one packet of bubbled chips to get you to the end, possibly also more than one beer.





And let’s not forget T-Bone Walker




or indeed T-Bone Burnett



No comments:

Post a Comment