Sunday, April 24, 2016

THE FUNKIER I BE, THE FUNKIER I GET: NIBBLING WITH MR NELSON.

OK, I fear no good may come of it, but a deep fat fryer has entered my life, and my kitchen. 


Mostly it’s for fish and chips/French fries, and maybe fried chicken, and possibly battered squid, but you know, a man likes to experiment and so I’ve been making my own potato crisps/chips.   This takes a lot of work and a lot of time, and you finish up with something not quite as good as you can buy in any gas station. But at least you know they’re artisanal.


And the fact is, your local gas station is unlikely, even at a moment like this, to be selling  chips made from purple potatoes.  But here, from the Nicholson test kitchen, are some I just made.


See, even the vegetable world mourns the passing of the fuchsia-favoring funkster (as the New York Post liked to call him).  Actually I think he's eating a cracker rather than a potato chip, but it's the best pic I could find.



No comments:

Post a Comment