Wednesday, April 18, 2012

GIN & IT


A while back in this blog I wondered whether Matt Groening was a foodie.  I still have no absolute proof either way, but my spies tell me that on the very night that the 500th episode of the Simpsons premiered Matt G was eating in a Korean restaurant with Jonathan Gold, scoffing clay-roasted duck stuffed with ginseng.  Then they went across the street for grilled pork neck and beer, and Matt gamely tried the grilled intestines when they brought them out to go with the drinks.  So if nothing else he’s certainly a willing experimentalist.


There’s also evidence that somebody else on the Simpsons crew has the Psycho-Gourmet spirit.  In the episode Once Upon A Time in Springfield (actually episode 450) the one in which the Krusty the Clown Show gets reworked to attract girls.  Somewhere in there Krusty is seen sitting next to a dumpster pouring “cheap gin” on bread to make a sandwich, which I think is as close to genius as anyone could demand. Thanks to faithful reader Bruno Fiuza for bringing this to my attention.  I'd seen the episode, but somehow I’d missed this perfect moment. 



Actually the cheap gin sandwich doesn’t seem such a terrible idea, if you ask me. Vodka goes great on sorbet, kirsch goes well with pineapple, a red wine marinade is common enough on beef.  So why not gin on bread?  And of course there is the example of Canned Heat aka Sterno, a denatured and jellied alcohol, that is (allegedly) drinkable when passed through bread, using the bread as a filter.  


In this scenario the bread isn’t supposed to be eaten, but my wife’s brother didn’t know that.  He just spread Sterno on bread and ate it.  My wife’s brother was a complicated character.  I never got the chance to meet him.

No comments:

Post a Comment