Thursday, August 9, 2018

IT'S ART (BUT IS IT FOOD?)

My pal Kevin Kinsella alerted me to a recent fad (I don’t think it’s quite a meme yet) on German Twitter where people are making sandwiches in the style of great visual artists.  Apparently it was started by a woman named Marie Sophie Hingst, with the hashtag #KunstGeschichteAlsBrotbelag. And others have joined in, as is the way with twitter.
Some are very literal indeed, just food cut into shapes to resemble works of art.   



But even before I clicked on the link Kevin sent me I was thinking of Mondrian and Rothko – and evidently so were others:




My own small addition to the genre is inspired by Carl Andre, top American minimalist, famous for his gridding, and it’s not a sandwich, but store-bought cheese tidbits arranged like this:


Of course, any work by Carl Andre would have been far more rigorous, far more geometrically precise, than my work, but then I suppose he wouldn’t have been using store-bought cheese tidbits


No comments:

Post a Comment