Monday, March 26, 2012

GHOSTWRITERS IN THE SKY (OR KITCHEN)


Have you been following the culinary ghostwriters debate?  It had never even crossed my mind that celebs actually wrote their own books, but it seems that Gwynneth Paltrow wrote every word of the book that has her name on the front.  And she did her own proof reading, and jacket design, and her own printing and binding, and she drove a delivery truck down to the Amazon warehouse so she could keep complete control of the process.  Good for her.


And yet, and yet.  Look at that title: my father’s daughter.  No capitalization!  Some people might think this was just folksy, borderline illiteracy, but others might ask themselves, “Is that woman plagiarizing e. e. cummings?”  In a way I rather hope she is.


My favorite e.e. cummings line, “Humanity I love you because when you're hard up you pawn your intelligence to buy a drink.”

No comments:

Post a Comment