Tuesday, January 23, 2024

CRACKING CRACKLING

 In recent months I’ve eaten a fair bit of Ramona’s Heavenly Humus, which tastes fine and os less than half the price of the other humus in my local supermarket.  I always go for the plain stuff, but I add lemon juice and turmeric because, you know, I’m a gourmet.

 

But it never occurred to me that there was as actual Ramona.  But there is and she looks like this:

 


And not only that, Ramona does Ramona exist, she has values, perhaps a mission statement, possibly even a philosophy.  She believes in authenticity, confidence and inclusivity. Why not? If you can’t have inclusivity in your humus where can you have it?



My mind drifted back to a night in a motel in Yucca Valley when we bought some Habanero Flavored Gigante Cracklins – or  ‘chicharones con frasa’ which as which as you might be able to see translates as ‘fried out pork fat with attached skin.’  They had me at pork fat.

 


Now I love a good bit of pork cracking and I can take a reasonable amount of hotness but these little morsels were a challenge – hotter than a pepper sprout – as Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood might say. (For the kids I should point out that this is a reference to the song Jackson (written by Billy Edd Wheeler and Jerry Stoller.)  

 


In fact the term ‘pepper sprout’ may indicate a kind of inclusivity or even diversity.  According to the urban dictionary it means somebody who’s half white and half Mexican.  Of course you have to wonder if it might also be a racial epithet, but I don’t think Nancy Sinatra would be involved with anything like that.

 


But I digress.  Because of their hotness, there was a real limit to how many Habanero Flavored Gigante Cracklins a lad could eat, which you might say was no bad thing, but I addressed the problem by smearing the pork skin with some very mild soft cheese like this.

 


As you can see by the Psychogourmet’s face, they still had to be treated with caution.  

 

This photo and the other pork pics, by Caroline Gannon.

Did it have authenticity, I don’t think so, but it had inclusivity to burn.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment