Friday, November 11, 2016

THE TELEVISED MARTINI



I was sitting in the bar of the Bonaventure Hotel in downtown Los Angeles; not the really fancy revolving one at the top, but the semicircular one in the lobby. 



 I was waiting for a friend who has been known to be late on occasion, but he was already later than anticipated.  I was drinking a Bombay Sapphire Martini and I hadn’t expected much but when it arrived it tasted pretty good and it was huge – requiring five olives!!

Photo: Anthony Miller.

While I waited, I watched the TV above the bar.  It was showing the anti-Trump demonstrations taking place around the country (some of us always knew the revolution would be televised).  But then one of the people working behind the bar, an Asian man, switched channels and the TV started showing football.
 
My drinking companion finally arrived.  He had a number of good reasons for being late, the best one being that there was an actual anti-Trump demonstration going on in the streets, and in fact on the freeway, of downtown LA, and there had been street closures.  As I sipped my second martini it was hard to decide whether living well was the best revenge or whether we were fiddling while Rome burned.  I don’t suppose it couldn't be both.

Photo: LA Times


No comments:

Post a Comment