Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A LITTLE SANDWICH LORE BEFORE THE HOLIDAYS



 First it was reported (i.e. I’m not entirely sure I believe it – I’ve only found one source for it) that Flight Captain Noushad of Pakistan International Airlines delayed take off a flight from Lahore to New York for two hours, while he waited for a sandwich to be delivered to him from a five star hotel.

Noushad supposedly said he "needed sandwiches at any cost" (I know the feeling) after he learned that there were no “gourmet treats” on board, only peanuts, chips and cookies. He continued demanding the sandwich even when he was told it could take two hours to get one from the hotel.  And apparently it did.  The flight was due to take off at 6.45 and didn’t leave till 9.15.  (All this is “allegedly.”)  Food on Pakistani International Airlines sometimes looks like this:



Type “Pakistani sandwich” into google and you’ll find a surprising number of surprisingly unexotic sandwich recipes.  On the website pakistanifun.com you can find a recipe for a French Chicken sandwich, but at least it’s in Urdu.


Meanwhile the BBC reported that in Khartoum rising prices mean that people can no longer afford their traditional falafels, so they’re eating cheaper foods in their sandwiches and coming up with exotic names for them.  A banana in a roll is now a Gigabyte sandwich.  Another sandwich, the Sound System, contains cows' ears.  I find it surprising that bananas are cheaper than chickpeas even in Sudan, cow ears I’m not so sure. In any case they're lining up for it (below).


A company here in the US called Best Buy Bones specializes in selling cow ears  as dog treats, “A Grease Free Alternative to Pig Ears” they say.  They come in blueberry, cherry and vanilla flavor, which is obviously going to push the price up, and they sell for about $2 per ear, which still strikes me as extortionate,  but I imagine that price is based on what the market will tolerate, and that nothing’s too good for people’s effin dogs.



In other sandwich news Anne Fishbein a very fine photographer, not exclusively but not least of food (you can see her work on http://www.annefishbein.com), published this photo on her Facebook page showing that sometimes minimalism is good too:


Compare and contrast with the this bit of sandwich engineering:


I also came across this school detention slip on a website that collects such things.


It took me a while to realize that YOLO means “you only live once,” and I suppose different people have different ideas of what constitutes living, but you can’t help thinking that the “youth of today” might come up with something a bit more zesty than sandwich throwing.


Crossing my own sandwich threshold – I ate a Langer’s Number 19, which is by all accounts a very famous, not to say iconic, L.A. sandwich, and as you see above it contains pastrami, cheese, coleslaw.  It was terrific, not least the coleslaw, but it was a funny thing, as I ate it I was well aware that the Loved One would enjoy that coleslaw even more than I did.  Such is the nature of long-term relationships.

And then at the weekend we found ourselves in Sherman’s New York Style Deli and Bakery, in Palm Springs, where I had great food envy.  I ordered an open face corned beef and chicken liver sandwich, which was very good indeed and looked like this:


But I kept looking over covetously at what the Loved One had ordered, the grilled cheese sandwich with crinkle-cut fried potatoes.  She let me have a couple of potatoes.  Such also, fortunately, is the nature of long-term relationships.


No comments:

Post a Comment