Monday, May 20, 2019

AIN"T GOT NO HAM SANDWICH


I don’t claim to have an encyclopedic knowledge of the sandwich, nor an encyclopedic knowledge of the life and works of Neil Young, and yet I do know a bit about these things and I can’t believe that only now am I finding about about Neil Young and the ham sandwich.  Apparently he sliced the end of his right index finger with a knife while cutting a ham sandwich, and on doctor’s orders had to cancel an entire European tour.  This was in 1997 for Pete’s sake!
"I'd have eaten the thing in one piece if I'd known that cutting it in half would jeopardize the tour,’ he said. ‘It's macaroni and cheese from now on.
My favorite Neil Young food song, of course, everybody’s favorite Neil Young food song is "Ain't Got No T-Bone" from Re-ac-tor.The lyrics in full though are as follows, though they do get repeated quite few times 
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone

As he himself apparently said ‘You don’t write a ten minute song about having mashed potatoes and not having T-bone without making a few enemies.’

I can’t find a picture of Neil Young eating mashed potatoes or eating anything else, but here he is again with a beer in his hand.


And here’s "Ain't Got No T-Bone" in all its pomp and majesty:




No comments:

Post a Comment